Thursday, July 10, 2008

Harvest of Righteousness

It has been two months since I have written here. I spent a fabulous week in Mississippi working on houses damaged by Hurricane Katrina, and found freedom surrendering to the schedule they establish for you at Camp Coast Care. I have been celebrating with family and friends out of town my recent birthday. I spent another fabulous week writing an icon while on retreat (I'll post a picture when I finally finish it) which is one of the many contemplative practices that I enjoy, and a refreshing week with dear friends who have let me graft my branch on to their family tree. So it has been a time of travel, and fun, and relaxation, but I have gotten away from my daily spiritual practices, so here I am, wanting to re-engage with Eugene Peterson's The Message, his contemporary paraphrase of the Bible, and with all the history and tradition that stands behind it. I am also thinking about how to shift this blog, perhaps, just a tad, to bring in more of my practices and experiences, as I use Bible reading as spiritual guide in my call to live the Christian life. I would be happy to hear questions, suggestions, ideas that any of you have that I could incorporate here.


Isaiah 5:7b He looked for a crop of justice and saw them murdering each other. He looked for a harvest of righteousness and heard only the moans of victims.

Isaiah has just used the analogy of a vineyard and its owner to represent the relationship between the kingdom of Israel and God. God has lavished Israel with tender care and in return sees selfishness, greed, hatred and war.

Life is a gift. This incredible planet on which we live is a gift. Do I look at each day and all it offers me as a gift, as a manifestation of the love and care of a Divine Creator, or am I caught up in my own head – my problems, my feelings, my insecurities, my petty ego desires? In the half full/half empty debate, faith calls me to see the good that is in m life rather than bemoan what is missing. Einstein said that either everything is a miracle or nothing is, and my faith calls me to see the miraculous in every moment, the beauty that surrounds me, the good food I get to eat, the time that is mine to use, the people that I know and love that move in my life. Rather than focusing on what is missing, let me notice my blessings and be grateful.

Prayer: Dear God, I want to be sweet grapes for your delight, ro appreciate all that you have given me, and live out a blessing on the world. Help me keep to that path and be grateful for each day’s miracles. Amen.

No comments: