Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Wanting what they don't have

Proverbs 21:26 Sinners are always wanting what they don't have; the God-loyal are always giving what they do have.

Here are a couple of hints about the happy life: gratitude and generosity. If I'm only focused on what's out there, what I don't have, what is not yet fulfilled, then I'm living in a half-empty life, constantly reminded of life's deficiencies and dissatisfactions. The sad thing is that even if or when my life expands, I don't notice because I am so fixed on what I don't have yet. It's a limitless category! But if I can start to appreciate and be grateful for what I DO have, suddenly my life begins to fill up with satisfaction and contentment, it becomes half full. As my life grows and expands, my gratitude grows also, until it overflows into generosity; when I truly live in gratitude, I need less and I want everyone to enjoy something of what I possess: not my things, but my experience of a joyful life.

Prayer: Dear God, Let me be grateful every day for the many blessings of this life, and let me live that gratitude through a generous spirit. Amen.

No comments: