Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Where you are Right Now

1 Corinthians 7:17 And don't be wishing you were someplace else or with someone else. Where you are right now is God's place for you. Live and obey and love and believe right there.

Where you are right now. Paul is talking about marriage here, and also station in life (slave or free), but this could apply to any part of our lives. We are always in a process of change -- life is a journey, not a destination -- but how much misery do I cause myself by tickling my imagination with being someplace else: someplace else in my career, or in a different career, relationship, city or community? This is idle fantasy. If I am really called to a certain change, it will come out of being exactly where I am right now. Only out of that full awareness and commitment does true change happen, that is, a real shift in my experience of my life, not just exchanging one circumstance for another one equally flawed.

When I went to Jerusalem four years ago, I gave myself the gift of believing that whoever I was with was the person I was meant to be with, that where I was was exactly where I was meant to be. It brought me to a presence with my experience that encouraged all of my interest and curiosity. It was some time after I returned that I realized I could give myself that gift all the time. It's what I try to remember when I get bored or annoyed: that there is something in this moment for me to give or receive. Then I use my mindfulness practice to be present. After all, I am here and not anywhere else; and I can only be here and not anywhere else, so I might as well fully be present with it.

Prayer: Dear God, Thank you for this reminder to live purposefully as your disciple wherever I find myself. Let me live in such a way that through my actions, others may see Your Face. Amen

No comments: