Thursday, October 16, 2008

I'm Not Through With You

Jeremiah 46:10 But it's not your day. It's the Master's, me, God-of-the-Angel-Armies--the day when I have it out with my enemies.

This verse caught me up, aroused in me such a sense of vulnerability, of being out of control, at the mercy of such powerful forces. In Jeremiah's time, it was the Babylonian army being used as God's instrument; today, it's the economy, as well as so much else that is going on in the world and my life. And there is this aspect of judgment, here, too, unforeseen consequences to deregulation, improper mortgages, obtuse investment instruments, the heady greed of prosperity which never satisfies but keeps people striving for more, more, more. I get it. I get caught up in it, too. I love the see the numbers go up in my stock accounts--and now I have to watch them plummet and seesaw. All that lust for money turns to panic that I won't have enough. My economic chickens are definitely coming home to roost!

So what keeps me grounded? I remember the last time the stock market took such a tumble. On October 19, 1987, the Dow dropped 25% (it was at 2000 at the time) and I remember this, not because I was paying attention to the stock market, but because that was the day my beloved husband, father of my only son, was diagnosed with lung cancer. That day was the beginning of his 6 month journey into death and the tearing apart of the family I had waited so long and eagerly for. I couldn't have cared less about the stock market. I knew what was important: him and our fragile family. And when I look back and see all that I lost -- and gained -- through his death, and remember how Jesus carried me through that difficult time, I know I can get through whatever these difficult times have in store for me because God is with me. As long as I walk His Paths, I can deal with whatever happens. As long as She is my foundation, I can withstand the storms. And if I have any doubt, Jeremiah has these words of encouragement: "But I won't finish you off. I have more work to do on you"

Prayer: Dear God, You have given me so many blessings. Open my heart in compassion to all who suffer during these disastrous times and lead me to a new way of living Your call that I may embody Your loving Presence in the world in a transformative way. Amen.

No comments: