Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Things Will Get Worse

Jeremiah 45:5 So forget about making any plans for yourself. Things are going to get worse before they get better.


What an eerie echo of today’s mood! Jeremiah is giving God’s word to his assistant, Baruch, after the Babylonian army has taken the kingdom of Judah into exile and devastated the land. Today we are dealing with an economic meltdown whose effects are just beginning to tipple out to the economy. Both situations are unprecedented; greed and corruption also played a role in each. What is God’s advice? Don’t make plans.

I find myself sitting quietly a lot, doing what needs to be done, but not thinking too far ahead. It seems a good time for trust in God. There’s not much I can do anyway, except worry, and that’s no help. So I throw my lot in with god, my rock, my foundation, my salvation. I stay present with God in the now, keeping my thoughts focused on just the next step. I trust that whatever happens I’ll be able to deal with it, with God’s help. I pray and open my heart in compassion for all those who are already suffering far more than I am and I rest in hope for a brighter day ahead. We will get through this. I am sure our lives will be changed, that we will be changed and I pray god’s grace will help us all find a way for the change we are undergoing to be for a new and better way of being in our communities, our country and our world. Crisis is a time of danger and opportunity. I know we all see the danger. I pray that we, and our leaders, also see the opportunity.

Prayer: Dear God, Our country, indeed our world, is going through a time of enormous transition. Help us and our leaders discern Your Guiding Hand taking us to a better way. Help us re-envision our country to better conform to our mission of freedom and justice for all. Amen.

No comments: