Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A signpost erected between Me and them

Ezekiel 20:12      I also gave them my weekly holy rest days, my "Sabbaths", a kind of signpost erected between me and them to show them that I, God, am in the business of making them Holy.

Last week-end, I did too much, didn't really take a full Sabbath the way I have been, and I could really feel the difference!  I woke up lethargic on Monday, less focused, feeling rushed, and perhaps a bit chided by God.  This is important, I remind myself.  And Ezekiel, here, touches on what makes the Sabbath so important.

Like a sign, a border or an altar of rocks, the Sabbath sets apart time for God.  It marks off the Holy from the ordinary, creates sacred time for me to come back to basics, to my root, my foundation, a sign to God and me and the world about where my primary allegiance lies.  It is fallow time, time to fill the well, to fill up with Presence through slowing down and resting, letting go and surrendering it all to God.  I worship, yes, but also rest, to show that I am a mere human; God is in charge, not me.  God can do it all without my help.  It is an exercise in humility, a recognition that I can withdraw from the world for a day and nothing falls apart, because none of it really depends on me, even though it may feel that way at times.  This setting apart is how God makes me whole, holy, integrated.  It provides balance for activity, a period of restoration, of full reliance on the Spirit to replenish my soul, so that I can re-enter the world with a full tank, ready to live the life God calls me to, ready to respond to the world's need with all that I am and all that I have.  "Life" ceases for one day, which brings more energy and focus to my activity when it resumes. It is a time to pause and reflect, see myself in true perspective, to be present with the One Living God, the Holy Presence, right now, for a whole day of stillness and peace.

Prayer:     Dear God,     In this time of the holidays, it is easy to get overscheduled and forget what it is all really about.  Help me remember that the most important thing I can do during Advent is not shop for presents, or go to concerts, or even visit friends, but to spend time with You, and rest in Your eternal changelessness.     Amen.

No comments: