Monday, November 16, 2009

The spirit was rekindled

1Maccabees 13:7 The spirit of the people was rekindled when they heard these words.

What a difference a few words of encouragement can make! In this instance, Simon was encouraging the people of Judah, after the death of his brother Jonathon, the second Maccabee brother to take the leadership position and die trying. He has just reassured them that he will carry on the work of his family.

I have experienced a rekindling of my spirit lately. I have been working to increase my practice through some outside marketing, and I am not the world's best businessperson. I find it easy to become discouraged or confused or overwhelmed -- it is just not my bailiwick! Several weeks ago, I was finding myself dreading Monday mornings, not experiencing the usual uplift I do after my Sunday Sabbath rest. I was feeling the pinch of needing to generate more income, along with a feeling of hopelessness that I could actually accomplish this task. I have set off on marketing junkets before, but they have never gotten very far. This time, I was referred to a group, the Job Club, which was meeting at a nearby Church. I was intimidated the first couple of meetings, but several weeks later, I am feeling energized, and capable, and more than that, I am actually getting some stuff done! There is nothing like going into a room with a tentative idea, offering it up and getting back, "That's a great idea!" along with 10 tactics for moving it along. WOW! I have been running like crazy (mostly on my computer), busy creating and checking off lists of tasks, and really moving the whole process forward. What's more, I am eagerly looking forward to the next step! That tells me I am finding the right focus, that the Spirit is energizing me because my purpose is in line with my spiritual purpose, with God's purpose for me. I welcome my day of rest, but also wake on Monday excited about the week to come, all God wants me to offer the world and the various ways I am figuring out to let people know about it. And a great deal of the credit goes to this small, faithful community that has gathered around me (as I have gathered with them for each of us), where I have learned I have something to offer others in their pursuit of work and purpose, as well as coming to understand what God calls me to give to the world. Hallelujah!

Prayer: Dear God, Thank you for the faithfulness of this small community, for their support in helping me move my business forward in such a positive way. As I seek to live more and more in Your Kingdom, I ask your continued guidance that the choices I make, the services I offer will further your work in the world. Amen.

No comments: