Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Lord gave me my tongue

Ecclesiasticus 51:21-22 My heart was stirred to seek her; therefore I have gained a prize possession. The Lord gave me my tongue as a reward, and I will praise him with it.

The "her" referred to is Wisdom, personified in Hebrew scriptures and often called Sophia. It is the fruit of a spirit-filled life. I'm sure we've all heard, "The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom", but the word doesn't really imply being afraid of God, but rather, feeling awe before God, the recognition of our own insignificance before the Source of All. Humility is a huge piece of it, and perhaps it is that recognition of our own humility which opens us up to see, hear and understand true wisdom. That has certainly been my journey. Though I don't claim wisdom in myself, I do experience this process as a bowing down before the superior wisdom of scripture, and when I humble myself before it, putting aside my own ideas, and listening and waiting for the voice of the spirit, I am rewarded with new insights, perspectives on life that I wouldn't come to on my own. In that waiting and watching, in that bowing down and receiving, in that pausing and reflecting, Wisdom, in a sense, arises. Or at least I hope she does.

So I have searched and sometimes found, and God has given me a tongue. When I saw that, I immediately thought of this blog, and how it has given me a way to express what I have come to understand about life and God and the mystery in and around us all. That is what Jesus Son of Sirach is doing in his book, Ecclesiasticus: trying to pass on what he has learned, hoping that others will benefit from it. It has been difficult, lately, to read with fresh eyes, to bring renewed energy to this work, but this reading has reminded me of my purpose in speaking in this way. I am reminded that I am called to this as a sacred art, and I must persevere even through times without inspiration. I do feel a slackening of energy in all parts of my life, and partly, I suppose, I just need a vacation (which is coming up September 1 - 15!), a real prolonged rest. But this reminder has renewed at least a sense of purpose in what I am doing, and I find myself reinvigorated even as I slog through what feels like a stagnant time.

Prayer: Dear God, I don't know why I am experiencing this time of dullness and lack of energy or inspiration, but I know that you are here with me, if I will but look for you and open my heart to your presence. Help me to follow through on my commitments even when I don't feel like it. Give me the opportunity to rest and restore my soul, so that I can continue my path renewed in vigor and excitement. Amen

No comments: