Friday, August 28, 2009

Finding God

Wisdom 13:9 for if they had the power to know so much that they could investigate the world, how did they fail to find sooner the Lord of these things?

The author is talking about how people make gods out of the things of creation: animals, the elements, sun, wind -- and marvels that seeing the beauties and wonders of nature, they don't make the leap to worship the Inspirer of creation. He makes the point that people worship beauty because that's what they see, and since God can't be seen, they go no further. This is very much the scientific/materialist worldview: anything that I can't see, hear, feel, touch, either personally or through many of the magnificent instruments that people have made to extend their senses, like microscopes and telescopes, is not real. The problem is when these same standards are applied to the religious sphere; they just don't fit! Science can tell us so much about the world we live in, how it works, what happens when you do different things, various causes and effects, and the more science we know, the more we can marvel at what an amazingly complex and interconnected world we live in. Science cannot tell us how we should live our lives, or what actions we should take, or why there is anything at all. It can tell us about possible effects of various decisions, and perhaps that is a guide as far as it goes, but often in interpersonal relations we must make decisions in spite of their effects: think of politicians who need sometimes to stand against public opinion to do something that may be unpopular in the short run, but will be better for everyone in the long run. So there are many areas of life that science cannot touch.

So if science cannot find God, does that mean God is not "real"? Or that God doesn't "exist"? I suppose it depends on how you define those words. If real means having material form like a blanket, then God is not real. And neither is love, compassion, hatred, beauty, fear, inspiration, the power of art to move us, any number of things that would make life poor indeed if we had to do without them. On the other hand, all of these things do have effects on us. Can we see the effects of God? When I sit and meditate, I open myself to God's Presence, and that has real effects on me. Buddhist monks would not necessarily label this Presence "God"; they might use a term like Buddha nature or something. Or Awareness, the Witness, any one of a number of terms. But seekers of God, in the Christian tradition and others, have used all sorts of these kinds of practices to touch a place that is Holy and Sacred, that takes one to the core of Being, that is non-material, and yet changes bodily functions, and provides a foundation for changing a person in his/her relationship to the world. Placing God at the center of my life in this way keeps me from the folly of thinking that I am in control of the world, or even my life, reminds me of my proper, rather insignificant place in this vast universe, yet holds out for me the vision of living a life in sync with God's plans for me, so that I might find my greatest fulfillment in the use of my gifts in service of the world and its people.

So does that mean God is "real"? Through these experiences, I have come to an inner knowing, an inner reliance on this Presence, this Awareness that transcends all things and inspires me with Divine Power. It allows me to be present with others as they face life's trials, and draw strength from the Source. It renews and refreshes me when I am discouraged. It connects me to a deeper Purpose in the face of all my best laid plans which often disappoint. I think of the Marshwiggle, a character from The Silver Chair, one of the Narnia series by C.S.Lewis. The Marshwiggle and his companions are in Underworld, a world below the surface of the earth, and they are being bewitched by a Queen who derides their descriptions of a world on the surface of the earth by calling on logic and reason. The Marshwiggle declares that he doesn't care if the world on the surface is real or not, he would rather live in that vain hope than be content with such a poor world as the Queen presides over. With that declaration, the spell is broken, and they are able to break out of Underworld and find their way to the top again. I suppose it's not the first time that something that's not "real" in a scientific sense has had real effects: think of patriotism, the ideals of justice, freedom, equality, all of which have had tremendous effects in our world. I do want to say, however, that "God" in this sense, is not just an idea to me. It is a palpable reality that undergirds my every action, guides my life and in whom I find my Being. I may not be able to say what is right for other people; there certainly seem to be a lot of people who get along fine without it. But for me, it is the bedrock, the core, the foundation of my life. What do you think?

Prayer: Dear God, I offer you this meager apologetic for Theism. I ask only that it be a way to touch people with Your Presence, that they may find their way to the Joy you offer. Amen.

1 comment:

Dstarr said...

God, and religion, is out of the domain of science. Science is very good at things that yield to theory and experiment. But that is not all that matters. Some of us are blessed by KNOWING that God exists, that heaven is where we go after death, and that Jesus is our savior. Many of us are of lesser faith, we hope these things are true, but we don't KNOW that they are.