Friday, October 16, 2009

Just as he had always done

Daniel 6:10 When Daniel learned that the decree had been signed and posted, he continued to pray just as he had always done.

What an example of steadfast loyalty and consistency of practice! Daniel's enemies in the Babylonian court have convinced the king to issue a decree ordering that anyone caught worshiping a god other than the king be put in the lion's den, but even this decree doesn't throw Daniel off his game. I can see him up there, sitting on his roof, facing Jerusalem three times each day, through rain and storms and blistering heat. Sort of like the US Postal Service. That's to say nothing of the inner storms that might be erupting at the prospect of facing a hungry lion. Through it all, Daniel continues his practice of prayer, a practice of praise, worship and thanksgiving.

And here I am, tossed by my own inner storms of such a mild nature compared to Daniel's--just the agitation of meeting life's challenges, the anxieties of living every day. When I find myself too susceptible to these inner and outer storms, I can look to Daniel as an example, and ask: Am I being consistent with my practices of prayer and contemplation? Am I reading and reflecting on scripture often enough? If I do these things consistently -- and I do some more consistently than others -- they form a foundation for my life, a house built on rock that cannot be shaken. If I abandon them, I abandon myself. Then the house of my life is built on sand, susceptible to every breeze, ready to be scattered in all directions by the first difficulty that comes my way. So I need to remind myself to make these practices an integral part of my life, every day. I have a community that practices contemplative prayer together, and that is a huge support to my own practice. When life gets too busy, and I start to neglect my reading, it really shows. And when difficulties arise, and my emotions get stirred up, when I can keep with these practices it really makes a difference. Reminds me what I am about, whose I am, and that with God at the helm, everything is going to be all right. God will give me what I need to deal with whatever comes. My practices of prayer and contemplation are the outward expression of that faith, that certainty.

Prayer: Dear Lord, Help me to turn to my contemplative practices for grounding in the face of life's storms, and to keep my gaze fixed on you whatever comes my way. Amen.

No comments: