Monday, March 29, 2010

Become simple and elemental

Matthew 18:4 Whoever becomes simple and elemental again, like this child, will rank high in God's kingdom.

Working in MS last week, on Katrina relief, has felt just like an "elemental experience"! I even mentioned this verse to some people who were working there with me, and it connected with their experience, too. Here's why I think this was an elemental week:

1. I actually was in the elements a lot. Though we were working in homes, much of our work brought us outside, and even indoors, we had all the windows opened. We were constantly in and out; when it rained, we got wet.

2. I was working with my hands, slapping mud (mortar) on the floor, cutting tile with a wet saw, laying the tile, smearing on the grout and wiping it off. Very tactile. Even though we did use a lot of machines -- power tools and such -- there's something basic about doing stuff with your hands.

3. I was in a new place, away from my home and usual connections and associations. There's a freshness, a basic experience of being in the world, when we're away from our routines and all those reminders of who we are supposed to be.

4. Our accommodations were very basic: metal bunkbeds with small foam mattresses, sleeping in sleeping bags, the bathrooms were across the compound, we ate in a big room all together. It was kind of like adult camp.

5. Because I was far away from my usual context, I was also kind of disconnected from the past, and too busy to think about the future, in a kind of "free" zone. Tasks kept me very present oriented, and being in the moment is about as elemental as it gets.

6. Basically, I was an apprentice, in a position of learning from others, most of them decades younger than me. I was doing something I don't normally do, that I am definitely not expert in.

7. I worked really hard every day, feeling quite tired by the end of it. That kept me in touch with my body and how it works, what it needs, how to take care of it.

8. The satisfactions I came away with were also elemental: a job well done; helping others. There was nothing fancy, no big accomplishments. Didn't even get to see the complete finish of the job we were on, so the successes were small, moment to moment things.

9. I wasn't responsible for anything, except showing up and working. At home, there are so many things I am involved in, there's always a list in my head; I am always juggling things that need to get done. This was simple and basic: follow the routine, show up, do your best, your time off's your own. In that way it was a real break from business as usual.

It's easy to lose touch with what is simple and elemental in our complicated lives, and last week was a great reminder of what is simple about living. Showing up, doing your best, taking care of yourself and your community. Sharing. Giving. Serving. I guess that's why I keep going back.

Prayer: Dear God, It's so easy to get caught up in the complexities of life and forget the basics. Help me remember what is simple and real, and stay connected to that when life gets complicated. Amen.

No comments: