Friday, April 25, 2008

He makes his move

2Chronicles 22:12-23:1 He was there with her, hidden away for six years in the Temple of God. Athaliah, oblivious to his existence, ruled the country. In the seventh year the priest Jehoiada decided to make his move and worked out a strategy…

Queen Athaliah, after the death of her son, the King of Judah, has ruthlessly murdered all the King’s brothers so that she might rule instead. She doesn’t know that baby Joash has been saved, hidden away in the Temple of God. Jehoiada the priest knows about Joash, but he doesn’t reveal the boy right away. He bides his time, until the time is ripe, and then makes his move.

How often have I leapt to get something done only to have it blow up in my face? How often have I stubbornly persisted in something, just wanting to get it completed, only to have it get hopelessly messed up in the process? When is the time to let go, and recognize the time is not right, and when should I persevere to follow through on my intentions? Jehoiada waited, and developed a strategy, and when the time was ready, he acted. Perhaps this is one of the greatest fruits of my walk in faith, is the ability to wait when necessary, and act wholeheartedly when the time is ready. As long as I see myself as in control, the responsibility thoroughly on my shoulders, I tend to keep plunging along, even though everything around me is telling me that things are not going as they should. Faith, and the recognition that God is in control and all I need to do is to surrender to God’s will, empowers me to see what exists, wait till the moment is right, and act with purpose out of my whole being. That is what I would call Right Action, and, especially with messy, human situations, it is usually the most effective action. When I can wait with God, my whole being in readiness until the moment arises, my action is then a direct response to circumstances and is able to cooperate with the conditions which have arisen, rather than trying through blind will to force a solution that I think is right, but may not be the best overall.

Prayer: Dear God, I know that Your will unfolding in me and my life offers my best hope for fulfillment. Give me patience and courage to abide with You, trusting that Your Divine Hand will lead the way and call right action forth from me when the time is right. And give me confidence to know that I will have the ability to do all that is necessary, and that You will provide whatever else I need. Amen.

No comments: