Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Sitting on the fence

1Kings 18:21 Elijah challenged the people: “How long are you going to sit on the fence? If God is the real God, follow him; if it’s Baal, follow him. Make up your minds.”

I have a hard time making decisions. First, I hate to make mistakes, so I often over-analyze a decision to make sure I’m not doing the “wrong” thing. Then, I want to keep my options open. It’s as if I want to see the future, and know what all the ramifications of my decision are, how it’s all going to turn out, so I can do the thing that will get the result that I want. There’s a couple of problems with that. The first is that not making a decision is making a decision, the decision of inaction. I once heard a CEO say that he had been hired because he was a decision maker. For the health of this business, it mattered less that the decisions were right or wrong than that they were made. The paralysis that comes from deferring decisions is worse for the movement of the business (or sometimes, for my life) than making a few wrong decisions. Sometimes, you can’t really tell if a decision is right or not until you start to see it played out; that’s where I really learn about what works and what doesn’t.

The other side of not making decisions is the notion of keeping your options open, hedging your bets. This is what the Israelites, and specifically King Ahab, were guilty of. It’s appealing to keep options open, because it gives me the illusion that I can still choose and get one of the options, but in reality, I’m not getting anything until I make a commitment. I can’t give myself wholeheartedly until that happens, I can’t experience the fruits of my choice, I can’t really be in the relationship if I am still dancing around unwilling to make a commitment. God wants our wholehearted participation in the lives that God calls us to, our wholehearted commitment to walking the path of God’s heart.

Prayer: Dear God, I feel I am straddling so many fences right now. Help me to make some decisions, take some steps to clarify my commitments, my intentions, and at the same time let me allow You to be the guiding light in choosing my direction. Not my choice, but Your choice be done. Amen.

No comments: