Wednesday, April 16, 2008

This one fell on his knees

2Kings 1:13 The king then sent a third captain with his fifty men. For a third time, a captain with his fifty approached Elijah. This one fell on his knees in supplication.

The first two captains and their 50 men each have been incinerated by lightning called down by Elisha; they were sent to command Elisha, a prophet of God, and Elisha’s response was to show that no one but God commanded him. This captain, though, doesn’t try to boss Elisha, as the previous two did, but instead humbles himself, essentially throwing himself on the prophet’s mercy. This humbling of himself breaks the stalemate, and saves his life and the life of his men.

How often, when I am in a tug of war with someone, do I think to relinquish my position of being “right” and humble myself before the other? I think particularly of struggles in relationships with people I love. It is very hard for me to either admit being “wrong” or to approach the person with some sense of humility rather than an agenda to show them something: where they’ve done wrong or where they could improve. This suggests that finding a moment of humility might be a better course, to lower the heat of conflict, defuse the situation and open a path to a different kind of conversation. John Ruusbroec, a 14th century Flemish Christian mystic, describes humility as “an interior bowing of the heart and mind before the transcendent majesty of God.” (James Wiseman, O.S.B., translator) Just as this captain bows in humility before Elisha in homage to the God that he represents, I can bow in humility before my partner, friend or family member, honoring the God that manifests in their being. I do this not to get a result, but to honor the other as a child of God, and remind myself that we are both under God’s power and the walk of Christ calls me to bow before Him in everything I do, even in an argument.

Prayer: Dear God, As I continue to struggle with my relationship, let me always remember that we are both Your children and so contain the light of Your presence within us. Teach me to honor that both in him and in myself, that I may submit my will to Yours in all things and thus reap the joy and fullness of the life You call me to. Amen

No comments: