Tuesday, March 11, 2008

God was sorry

Genesis 6:6-7 God was sorry that he had made the human race in the first place; it broke his heart. God said, “I’ll get rid of my ruined creation, make a clean sweep: people, animals, snakes and bugs, birds—the works. I’m sorry I made them.”

God was so disgusted with how everything was going that he decided to just wipe the slate clean. I know there have been times when I felt that way about my life. When I returned to church 25 years ago was such a time. I felt I was really messing everything up, perhaps as the people in Noah’s time were doing, and I needed a fresh start. That is the miracle of conversion: God wipes my slate clean as grace for my repentance. Repentance for what? Following other Gods, primarily: the God of Success, the God of Self-Sufficiency, the God of Me. And here in Lent is another time to reflect on the ways I have lost my way and experience the fresh start of Easter. Sunday, too, is such a day. Every week I come to the altar to receive the bread and wine of the Eucharistic feast is an opportunity to cleanse myself and start fresh. The miracle of Jesus’ sacrifice for all of us and our wins is that the work is done. All I have to do to avail myself of that redemption is to be sorry for where I’ve strayed and clarify my intentions before God. Then, by God’s grace, I am given a fresh start.

In fact, every day offers such an opportunity. This morning as I sit in the Presence of the Holy, writing this, I have the opportunity to renew my commitment to live a life governed by God’s Will and God’s Love. Let me take advantage of it.

Prayer: Dear God, Every day, every moment, you offer me the gift of your grace, the opportunity for renewal and the deepening of my commitment to walk in your paths. Open my heart to hear the siren song of your call, that I may experience anew the rich texture of the life you offer, and abide in the deep connection we share. Amen.

No comments: