Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A Note on Process

Today, as I sat to write, I only had the tickling of a verse to guide me. Sitting in stillness, listening for the spirit stirring within, I felt dry, uninspired. But this is my process, I said. I don’t have to know where it is going, just to take one step at a time. So I wrote the first sentence. As I continued to write, I was thinking, “Oh, this is no good, this isn’t going anywhere. Maybe I should skip it today, or read some more and look for something that really speaks to me.” But I ignored that voice, and heard another saying, “Just keep writing. It will reveal itself.” I have been feeling a bit distant from the intimacy of these early morning reflections on scripture, questioning whether God was still with me in this. And as I kept writing, the message that emerged addressed the very alienation I was feeling. And so I finished, feeling connected again with the Spirit that guides my life. Renewed, as invited by the spirit.

I want you reading this to understand that I don’t have an agenda per se. There is no plan, I am not looking for “Lessons” to convey. I am daily reading and listening to hear God’s voice speaking to me and my particular circumstances through scripture, and hoping, by grace, that what I write will have meaning for you, too. Sometimes I have the distinct feeling that what I am writing is for someone who may read this blog, rather than for me, but it feels so strong I want to put it out there. Other times, it is such a personal message I wonder if it will have meaning for anyone else. If you feel so moved, I hope you will let me know when I have struck home, and when I’ve missed the mark. I only pray that you will find a blessing from God through my words.

No comments: