Saturday, March 1, 2008

Take heart!

1Chronicles 28:20 David continued to address Solomon: “Take charge! Take heart! Don’t be anxious or get discouraged. God, my God, is with you in this; he won’t walk off and leave you in the lurch. He’s at your side until every last detail is completed for conducting the worship of God.

David has just handed his young son, Solomon, an enormous project: the building of the Temple for God. David has stockpiled materials and developed extensive plans, in response to God’s divine communication, and they are elaborate. I can only imagine that Solomon was completely overwhelmed. I know that I get that way frequently, regularly. Life in all of its complexity often seems overwhelming! And I can think of no other encouragement as helpful as this (plus a good nap): that God is at my side.

God is not in the forsaking business. We humans, frail and errant, often find we cannot follow through on what we intended. All of us have at times been on the receiving end of that – and, if we are honest, probably the giving end as well. We’re doing the best we can, but sometimes we just can’t follow through. God never fails. We may feel lost, but God is there. When everyone else deserts you, God takes your hand. So when I, inevitably, get anxious, or discouraged, I take the time to stop and connect with God, to remember that God abides in me as I abide in God, and to lean on God in whatever way I can. ‘Don’t worry,’ God tells me, ‘we’ll get through this.’

Prayer: Dear God, As I move forward in my intention to reclaim my space, the project seems absolutely overwhelming at times. Remind me of your presence in everything I do, that I may call on your strength when mine fails, and find your hope when I am discouraged. And through it all, keep me always grateful for your presence in my life. Amen.

No comments: