Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Do to me what you vowed

One from the archives:


Judges 11:36-37


She said, "Dear Father, if you made a vow to God, do to me what you vowed. God did his part and saved you from your Ammonite enemies." And then she went to her father, "But let this one thing be done for me. Give me two months to wander through the hills and lament my virginity since I will never marry, I and my dear friends."


This made me weep, I was so touched by her simple faith, her commitment. She gets it! Jephtha, her father, made a rash vow -- he didn't need to do that, he didn't need to bargain with God, he could've just asked, but instead he thought he could buy God's favor. And he paid dearly. He promised God that if God would give him the battle, he would burn as an offering the first thing that greeted him when he returned from the battle. And who rushed out to greet him but his only dearly beloved daughter! And here, this young girl -- she doesn't even get a name -- shames his paltry faith and the fickle faith of the people of Israel, who are constantly being seduced by the foreign Gods of the Canaanites, this nameless young woman shows with grace and courage how to honor God, how to submit in obedience to God's will.


Prayer: Dear God, You give me this example of a young woman who accepts your power and dominion without thinking twice about it, even when it means her immolation. I cannot hope to measure up to her example. I pray that through Christ living in me I may develop such faith as you will give me to see and accept your will in all things. Amen

No comments: