Tuesday, January 8, 2008

My first post


1Peter 4:8

"Above all love each other deeply because love covers over a multitude of sins"

Love each other deeply, that means fully with everything you've got. I think I have always thought of this as meaning when you love someone a lot you don't notice their faults because your love them so much, your love covers over their faults. That is, love invites you to accept them fully, faults and all. Or, as in the love is blind idea, gets you to ignore them. But I wonder if what Peter is referring to here is the redemptive work of love; that is, as I love another person deeply, with all I have, it calls out of me my best self. The actual work of love, of caring for another human being leads me away from my own faults, invites me away from a me-centered view of the universe, and so calls me into a better life. And further on that theme, when my life is weighed in the balance, the love I have carried, the love I have born for others in my life, and the actions I have taken to enact that love will weigh more heavily in the scales than a multitude of my sins. And if sin is that which keeps us apart from God, and if God is love, then the very act of loving draws us toward a closer intimacy with God without room for the splitting apart of sin.
And I want to include a bigger chunk of Peter's epistle here, because it seems to me as good a recipe for Christian discipleship as any given in the Bible.

1Peter4:8-11a

Above all, love each other deeply because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God's grace in its various forms. If you speak, you should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If you serve, you should do so with the strength that God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ.

Prayer: Dear God, Teach me to love others as you love me, with full acceptance of who they are, that they may see, through me, your all encompassing love which is available to all. Amen

No comments: