Saturday, January 12, 2008

Making Choices to Take Care of Myself

Today I read the story of Samson (Judges 13:1 - 16:31). Boy, that is one bloody, vicious story! So, today nothing called me from the Bible, but I did find something in Courage to Change, which is from the 12-Step programs, and something I also include in my daily reflections.
...the lesson that detachment teaches. When I sense that a situation is dangerous to my physical, mental or spiritual well-being, I can put extra distance between myself and the situation. This doesn't mean I stop loving the person, only that I acknowledge the risks to my own well being and make choices to take care of myself.
What a perfect description, not only of the action of detachment but also its purpose of self-care! It's also a way to save me from the trial, keep me from the temptation to behave in ways that I don't like, from things that pull me off my path, call me away from what nurtures and supports me. How do I help from getting sucked into some whirlwind of activity someone else has gotten into? How do I keep "people-pleasing" from seducing me into eating what I don't want and eating more than I want? The biggest thing about this, I think, is the permission to say "no". When something is not in my best interests--like staying up late to watch another TV show--or is, like being honest about my likes and dislikes and not going to movies I know will leave me feeling hopeless and discouraged, I can say "no" to take care of myself. I need to hew to my own agenda, the path God calls me to, which includes times of stillness and solitude. These are just some of the ways that I can use detachment to support my walk in faith. As my rector says, "No is a spiritual word." Detachment doesn't mean lack of love or compassion, but it does proceed from the recognition that I am not responsible for other people's feelings, that God has called me to a particular path and I won't find my way going down other people's roads or by trying to drag them down mine; that love and intimacy can live with and even thrive with distinction and difference as much as sameness; that my responsibility is to follow God's call as well as I can and not be sidetracked by what other people want from me.

Prayer: Dear God, Thank you for a powerful reminder of why and how to keep the boundaries I need clear and strong. Keep your will clear and strong before me so that I can stand up to the temptations that pull me away. Amen


No comments: